1837 Morton Avenue was on the north side of Morton Avenue, west of Denman Street.
Legal Description: District Lot: 185; Block 71; west half of Lot 3.
There are no references to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched April 1, 2019].
Vancouver directory listings from 1909 to 1923.
|1909 to 1910||Jefferd, Arthur|
|1911||Jaggard, Robert Piercy|
|1913||Cooper, Emily Jane|
|1915 to 1916||Payne, Robert Alexander|
|1917 to 1923||Lucas, Francis Godfrey|
The house was often available to rent. As well, in 1911 it served briefly as a private maternity nursing home.
In September 1931, the contents of the house were for sale by auction.
In 1937, the City of Vancouver’s civic board of planning appeal gave permission to move the houses at 1837 Morton Avenue and 1839 Morton Avenue to the Pendrell Street end of the lots. There were plans to use the Morton Avenue frontage for a two-storey apartment building.
The proposed move of the houses did not occur. They were still in their original places in 1954.
By 1959, the house had disappeared to make way for the Ocean Towers apartment building. (Also gone were Morton Lodge and the houses at 1841 Morton Avenue, 1839 Morton Avenue and 1835 Morton Avenue.