1821 Barclay Street was on the north side of Barclay Street, just west of Denman Street.
Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 67, Lot 34.
There is one reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched February 3, 2019].
|Owner:||Armstrong, W. H. (Mrs)|
|Architect:||Whiteway, William Tuff|
|Builder:||Sharp, A. (cont.)|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 67 Sub: Resub: Lot: 34|
|Street Name:||Barclay Street|
The owner, “Mrs. W.H. Armstrong,” appears to be the wife of William Henry Armstrong, of Armstrong and Morrison, who lived at 1228 Comox Street [Henderson’s BC Gazetteer and Directory, 1901, page 626.] The architect was William Tuff Whiteway, who designed many houses and larger buildings in Vancouver. Mr. Whiteway lived at 1949 Barclay Street from 1905 to 1907, and at 1958 Barclay Street from 1908 to 1916.
Vancouver directory listings from 1902 to 1925.
|1902 to 1912||Burns, John|
|1913 to 1920||Burwell, Herbert Mahlon|
In 1925, Mrs. Mahlon auctioned the contents of the house.
From the mid-1920s through the 1940s, the house offered rental accommodation.
In 1956 the house was for sale.
In March 1958, a house-wrecking firm demolished the house.
By September 1958, a rental apartment building called “The Buccaneer” had appeared on the site.
In December 1958, Atlas Developments Limited was offering shares in 1821 Barclay Limited.