1050 Gilford Street was on the northeast corner of Gilford Street and Comox Street.
Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 69, south half of Lot 34.
There are two references to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/ [searched December 1, 2018].
The first reference is a 1904 permit to build the house. William Walsh was the owner and builder. Parr and Fee were the architects.
|Architect:||Parr & Fee|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 69 Sub: Resub: Lot: 34|
|Street Number:||[1034 & 1050]|
|Street Name:||Gilford Street & Comox Street|
|Remarks:||Two frame dwellings $3,000 each|
The second reference is for repairs in 1913.
|Builder:||Gray, D. & W.|
|Legal Address:||DL: Block: Sub: Resub: Lot:|
|Street Name:||Gilford Street|
Vancouver directory listings for 1050 Gilford Street from 1910 to 1920.
|1905||Whalen, John James|
|1906 to 1912||Marpole, Clarence Mawson|
|1914 to 1919||Ashfield, Samuel|
|1920||McCutcheon [unknown first name]|
The house was a private home until the 1930s, when it became a rooming house.
In 1955, Ewart and Gertrude Lumsden lived on the property and rented out three sets of rooms in the house.
It was still a rooming house in 1963.
In 1964, the house was gone from 1050 Gilford Street. A new apartment building called “Park West” was on the site, with an address of 1869 Comox Street.