1025 Gilford Street was at the northwest corner of Gilford Street and Comox Street.
Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 69, Lots 32-33.
Thomas Arthur Fee (1863-1929) designed and built this house.
There are no references to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched February 20, 2019].
A series of holly trees lined the perimeter of the property.
In the late 1930s and early 1940s, the family of Edwin Jordan-Knox lived in the house.
About 1946, the house became the “Park Gilford Hotel” (sometimes called the “Park Hotel”).
In February 1962, Rina Biden was the owner of the property. She was preparing to demolish the hotel, so that a new building could go up in its place.
In March 1961, house-wreckers demolished the house. The furniture, the house contents and the building components were for sale.
Douglas Simpson designed a new building for the site, and construction was underway in 1961 and 1962.
By March 1962, the new apartment building was on the site. Like the former house, the new building was called “Park Gilford” and it had an address of 1025 Gilford Street.
Some of the holly trees on the Comox Street side of the property were still there in 2019:
Parr and Fee, Building Vancouver; posted on 27 November, 2011; https://buildingvancouver.wordpress.com/tag/parr-fee/.
Park Gilford, 1025 Gilford Street; https://www.emporis.com/buildings/113050/park-gilford-vancouver-canada.
Park Gilford, 1025 Gilford Street; http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=54313.
Book Review – Vancouver Vanishes: Narratives of Demolition and Revival, by Sean Ruthen, April 26, 2016; http://spacing.ca/national/2016/04/26/book-review-vancouver-vanishes-narratives-demolition-revival/: “another of architect Thomas Fee’s homes, which stood at Gilford and Comox and was converted into the Park Gilford Hotel, was torn down in 1961 without even so much as a photograph of it left behind.” [Actually, there are several photographs of the house.]
“Classic Modernism Retains its Groovy Chic,” by John Mackie, Edmonton Journal, June 17, 2006, page J4:
“The apartment block in question is the Park Gilford, a 14-storey building designed by Douglas Simpson, architect of the 1957 Vancouver public library.
Watson says the Park Gilford was one of the first buildings in Vancouver to offer apartments for sale. But the concept failed to catch on, and the 49-unit complex has been a rental since it opened in 1962.”