The Arlington Apartments appeared at 1851 Haro Street in 1940.
The lot is on the north side of Haro Street, between 1833 Haro Street and 1865 Haro Street. It appears that it was a vacant lot until 1940 (and perhaps it was part of the yard for one of the neighbouring houses, probably 1865 Haro).
Until 1940, there was no 1851 Haro Street in the Vancouver directories.
Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 66, Lot 34.
There are no references to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched June 4, 2019].
In the spring of 1940, E. M. Craig and Company applied for a permit to build an apartment building at 1851 Haro Street.
The building was almost complete by the end of August 1940. Like many houses and apartments of that time, it had a half-timber or “Tudor” style. (The article below calls the building “T.M. Craig” instead of “E.M. Craig,” and refers to 9 apartments instead of 19.)
By 1941, almost all of the suites were occupied.
The Arlington has continued to provide rental accommodation until the present time.
1851 Haro St, Vancouver BC, Vancouver Heritage Foundation; https://www.vancouverheritagefoundation.org/location/1851-haro-st-vancouver-bc/.
1851 Haro Street – Madeleine; https://www.vancouverheritagefoundation.org/location/1930-haro-st-vancouver-bc/1851-haro-street-madeleine/.
The Arlington, 1851 Haro Street; Equitable Real Estate Investment Corp. Ltd.; http://equitablerealestate.ca/buildings/the-arlington/.