The lot at the south-east corner of Alberni Street and Chilco Street was empty until the 1950s.
Legal Description: District Lot 185; Block 65; Lot 17.
In 1912, Joseph Ambrose Russell hired Henry Barton Watson to design an apartment building for the site.
Note: The small house at the left of the drawing (above) appears to be 1952 Alberni Street.)
The apartment building was going to occupy lots 17 and 18 at the southeast corner of Alberni Street and Chilco Street. It was just down the hill from the Russell house at 1973 Robson Street.
The building received a permit from the City of Vancouver.
|Owner:||Russell, J. A.|
|Architect:||Watson, Henry Barton [VDW]|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 65 Sub: Resub: Lot: 17-18|
|Street Name:||Chilco Street|
|Remarks:||Apartments/rooms; six-storey concrete apartment house [VP]; [architect added VDW Feb 13, 1913 p24]|
Heritage Vancouver; Vancouver Building Permits; http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/; searched July 29, 2018.
For unknown reasons, construction of the Russell Apartments did not go ahead, and the site was still vacant in 1931.
The lot remained vacant throughout the 1940s and 1950s.
In 1957, the Glass Manor appeared on the site, with an address of 700 Chilco Street.
Thanks to Murray at Vancouver As It Was: https://vanasitwas.wordpress.com/ for information on Joseph Russell’s proposed apartment on Chilco Street.
Henry Barton Watson, Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950; http://www.dictionaryofarchitectsincanada.org/node/322 : “CHICO [sic: Chilco] STREET, a six storey apartment block for J.A. Russell, 1913 (Vancouver Daily World, 13 Feb. 1913, [page] 24).
“Apartment Building Planned,” Vancouver Daily World, February 13, 1913, page 24.
Glass Manor, 700 Chilco St, Vancouver; http://www.glassmanpm.com/en/Vancouver/building/Glass+Manor/1995.
Leon Glassman, obituary, Published in Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on Nov. 16, 2017; http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/vancouversun/obituary.aspx?n=leon-glassman&pid=187260952. “Their first [building], Glass Manor, overlooking Lost Lagoon, was among the first luxury high rises in the West End.”
“The Glass Manor, 700 Chilco Street,” About Town, November 1, 1957, page 5 and cover illustration.