810 Park Road was at the intersection of Robson Street, Chilco Street and Park Road. About 1927, the street address formally changed from 810 Park Road to 2002 Robson Street, although references to the Robson Street address appeared in the early 1920s. (In 1929, Park Road became Lagoon Drive).
Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 66, Lot 14.
There is one reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched December 3, 2013]. The owner (V. Mitchell) was Victor William Mitchell.
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 66 Sub: Resub: Lot: 14|
|Street Name:||Robson Street|
The Vancouver directories listed the following occupants of the house.
|1905 to 1918||Mitchell, Victor William|
|1919 to 1922||Chasteney, Alfred Gunton|
|1923 to 1928||Hooper, Mrs. H. (widow of Alfred)|
|1929||Not listed under names or streets for Chilco Street, Park Road, Robson Street or Lagoon Drive|
|1930||Black, Mrs. Florence S. (widow of A. A. Black)|
|1931 to 1933||Macdonald, Ernest F. (Jean)|
|1934||Mitchell, Mrs. Caroline|
|1935 to 1943||Tollafield, Mrs. Winifred E.V.|
|1942 to 1950||Lagoon House Rooms|
|1944 to 1945||Kirby, Thomas (Elsie)|
|1946||Kirby, Mrs. Elsie|
|1947 to 1950||Roberts, Mrs. Bertha|
|1951 to 1955||Not listed under Vancouver streets|
In 1922 and 1923, rooms in the house became available to rent.
Sometime after the address changed to 2002 Robson Street, the house became known as “Lagoon House.”
In 1949, the house was for sale for $15,000.
One advertisement suggested replacing the current house with a six-storey apartment building.
It appears that the house was sold by June 1950, because the rooming house furniture was for sale.
Charles Burwell Kerrens Van Norman, (1907-1975) (often called “C.B.K. Van Norman”) was a prominent Vancouver architect who had acquired the property. It appears that he demolished the house fairly quickly to prepare for development.
In 1951, he was proposing to build a six-storey hotel on the site.
The hotel project did not go ahead. (An article from 1968 refers to a plan for an office building on the site. However, there are no other references to office buildings that Mr. Van Norman may have planned for this site.)
By 1953, the property next door, at 2015 Haro Street, had been developed as “Lagoon Manor” (also known as “Arniston Apartments”). The lot at 2002 Robson Street was still bare and undeveloped, although Mr. Van Norman was planning a significant project for the site.
In 1961, an advertisement appeared for a seven-suite apartment building at 2002 Robson Street.
However, the project did not proceed at that time. In 1963, the lot was still vacant.
By 1968, the project had still not started. However, there were signs on the property that referred to Mr. Van Norman and to the H. Haebler Company Limited, who were general building contractors.
In 1968, construction at 2002 Robson Street went ahead. The new building was to be for high-end rentals.
The building attracted residents such as Frank Ross, who was British Columbia’s former lieutenant-governor.
The advertisements for the building referred to its modern, luxurious features.
The building later became an ownership condominium known as “The Chilco,” with an address of 815 Chilco Street.