1034 Gilford Street was on the east side of Gilford Street, near the northeast corner of Gilford Street and Comox Street.
Legal Description: District Lot 185; Block 69; north half of Lot 34.
There is one reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/ [searched December 1, 2018].
It is a 1904 permit to build the house. William Walsh was the owner and builder. Parr and Fee were the architects.
|Architect:||Parr & Fee|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 69 Sub: Resub: Lot: 34|
|Street Number:||[1034 & 1050]|
|Street Name:||Gilford Street & Comox Street|
|Remarks:||Two frame dwellings $3,000 each|
Vancouver directory listings from 1905 to 1923:
|1905||Kerr, John Walter|
|1907 to 1911; 1913||Donald, James Charlton|
|1915 to 1916||Hodges, Walter Ernest|
|1918||Donald, Mrs. James Charlton|
|1919||Farris, Bruce Mackenzie|
|1920 to 1923||Peacock, Thomas Paddison|
During the house’s early years, most newspaper references were in society columns, describing the comings and goings of the house’s residents.
In 1932, the house was for rent.
In 1944, the house was converted into apartments.
Apartments continued to be available in the building during the 1950s and early 1960s.
In 1964, the house was gone from 1034 Gilford Street. A new apartment building called “Park West” was on the site, with an address of 1869 Comox Street.