678 Gilford Street

1890 West Georgia Street - 1968 - detail from CVA 1348-22 - Ships Inn Cafe - front of 678 Gilford on Georgia; http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/ships-inn-cafe-front-of-678-gilford-on-georgia;rad

1890 West Georgia Street – 1968 – detail from CVA 1348-22 – Ships Inn Cafe – front of 678 Gilford on Georgia; http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/ships-inn-cafe-front-of-678-gilford-on-georgia;rad

This address appears to be associated with 1890 Georgia Street and 1896 Georgia Street.

Georgia Street and Gilford Street, southeast corner, detail from Goad’s Atlas of Vancouver, volume 1, Plate 48 [Denman Street to Georgia Street to Chilco Street to Haro Street]; https://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/plate-48-denman-street-to-georgia-street-to-chilco-street-to-haro-street.

Georgia Street and Gilford Street, southeast corner, detail from Goad’s Atlas of Vancouver, volume 1, Plate 48 [Denman Street to Georgia Street to Chilco Street to Haro Street]; https://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/plate-48-denman-street-to-georgia-street-to-chilco-street-to-haro-street.

According to one source, George Edmund Farrer was living at 678 Gilford Street in 1893. However, other sources show him at 1900 Haro Street from 1895 to 1903. It is possible that the 1893 reference to Gilford Street is incorrect.

678 Gilford Street did not appear in the Vancouver directories again until 1930.

Wrigley’s British Columbia Directory, 1930, page 1519 (Gilford Street).

 

From the 1940s to the 1960s, the house offered rental accommodation.

 

Vancouver Province, October 5, 1945, page 21, column 4.

 

Vancouver Province, January 25, 1955, page 26, column 2.

 

 

Tea Rooms

In 1930, the directory listed the Jerseymoor Tea Rooms at 1890 Georgia Street. The proprietor was a former seaman, Ernest Robert Deacon (1887-1963), who lived at 1896 Georgia Street. The name “Jerseymoor” seems to have come from a ship that sailed to Vancouver from time to time.

Jerseymoor in Vancouver Harbour, about 1925; British Columbia Archives, Item I-31429; https://search-bcarchives.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/ss-jerseymoor-in-vancouver-harbour.

In 1934, Mamie Maloney wrote two columns in the Vancouver Sun about Mr. Deacon’s approach to customer service.

 

Vancouver Sun, June 5, 1934, page 5, column 4.

 

Vancouver Sun, June 15, 1934, page 27, column 3.

 

Mr. Deacon died in Vancouver on October 1, 1963.

 

Vancouver Sun, October 3, 1963, page 50, column 2.

 

The tea rooms had a variety of names over the years:

1930 to 1939 Jerseymoor Tea Rooms or Jerseymoor Confectionery
1940 Greenwich Tea Rooms
1941 to 1943 Seven Seas Tea Rooms
1944 Tracey’s Cafe
1945 to 1946 Joan’s Koffee Kounter
1947 Dog House Diner Cafe
1948 Johnny’s Lunch
1949 to 1960s Ship’s Inn Lunch Bar

 

In 1943, the property was for sale.

Vancouver Province, December 11, 1943, page 32, column 8.

 

The proprietors of the restaurant sometimes advertised for staff.

 

Vancouver Province, August 9, 1945, page 18, column 5.

 

Vancouver Sun, June 20, 1959, page 37.

 

1890 West Georgia Street - 1960 - detail from [Ruins of Stanley Park Armouries (Horse Show Building) 1900 West Georgia Street after a fire]; http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/ruins-of-stanley-park-armouries-horse-show-building-1900-west-georgia-street-after-fire;rad

1890 West Georgia Street – 1960 – detail from [Ruins of Stanley Park Armouries (Horse Show Building) 1900 West Georgia Street after a fire]; http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/ruins-of-stanley-park-armouries-horse-show-building-1900-west-georgia-street-after-fire;rad.

1890 Georgia Street, May 1986, detail from South side of West Georgia Street at Denman; Vancouver City Archives, CVA 800-2706; http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/nst-2486.

1890 Georgia Street, May 1986, detail from South side of West Georgia Street at Denman; Vancouver City Archives, CVA 800-2706; http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/nst-2486.

 

The lot later became part of the Lord Stanley apartment hotel at the corner of Gilford Street and Alberni Street.

 

Southeast corner of Georgia Street and Gilford Street; Google Streets, searched March 20, 2019; image dated May 2012.

Southeast corner of Georgia Street and Gilford Street; Google Streets, searched March 20, 2019; image dated May 2012.

 

Sources

Jerseymoor (ship)

Tyne Built Ships: A history of Tyne shipbuilders and the ships that they built; Jerseymoor; http://www.tynebuiltships.co.uk/J-Ships/jerseymoor1915.html

Passengers in History; An initiative of the South Australian Maritime Museum; Jerseymoor: http://passengersinhistory.sa.gov.au/node/928804.

Jerseymoor SS (1915-1920) Onassi Maria SS (+1935); https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?164121

Jerseymoor in Vancouver Harbour, about 1925; British Columbia Archives, Item I-31429; https://search-bcarchives.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/ss-jerseymoor-in-vancouver-harbour.

 

Ernest Robert Deacon (proprietor of Jerseymoor Tea Rooms)

“British Columbia Death Registrations, 1872-1986; 1992-1993”, database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FLBW-GZV : 8 November 2017), Ernest Robert Deacon, 1963; http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/729cfbe0-ecab-4cf8-aaba-8f5b697cbcb7.

Ancestry.com. Canada, WWI CEF Attestation Papers, 1914-1918 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2006. Name: Ernest Robert Deacon; Birth Date: 17 Aug 1887; Birth Location: Plymouth, England; Relative: Ed L Deacon; Regiment Number: 100380.

Ancestry.com. Canada, WWI CEF Personnel Files, 1914-1918 [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2016. Library and Archives Canada; Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; CEF Personnel Files; Reference: RG 150; Volume: Box 2386 – 10. Name: Ernest Robert Deacon; Birth Date: 17 Aug 1887; Birth Place: Plymouth, England; Relative: Ed L Deacon; Relationship of Relative: Brother; Regimental Number: 129429.

Deacon, Ernest Robert; The Nauticapedia; http://www.nauticapedia.ca/dbase/Query/Biolist3.php?&name=Deacon%2C%20Ernest%20Robert&id=50249&Page=17&input=1.

 

Mamie Moloney (Mary Patricia Moloney; Mrs. Theodore Rupert Boggs)

British Columbia Death Registrations; Registration Number: 1992-09-012378; Mary Patricia Boggs; date of death: July 10, 1992; place of death: Victoria; age at death: http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/ff61c9a6-feb2-4bdf-9f88-0ce374bc8aeb; medical certificate of death: http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/69fc5fd9-4ed9-4754-8530-0e3e330f2954.

Mary Patricia Boggs (Moloney), death notice, Victoria Times-Colonist, July 13, 1992, page B6, column 3.

“Fervent Feminist Moloney Dies at 83,” Vancouver Sun, July 13, 1992, page B4, columns 4-6.

Theodore Rupert Boggs, death notice, Victoria Times-Colonist, October 23, 2001, page B4, column 1 (husband of Mary (Mamie) Moloney).