1019 Gilford Street was on the west side of Gilford Street, north of the lane between Nelson Street and Comox Street.
Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 69, south half of Lots 8 and 9.
There is one reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched February 21, 2019].
|Owner:||Ford, C. W.|
|Architect:||Bruce, J. T.|
|Builder:||Bruce, J. T.|
|Legal Address:||DL: Block: Sub: Resub: Lot:|
|Street Name:||Gilford Street|
|Remarks:||Dwelling/house; frame garage [DBR]|
Vancouver directory listings for 1019 Gilford Street.
|1908||Vacant (Listed as 1015 Gilford Street)|
|1909 to 1913||Ford, Christopher W.|
|1914||Ford, Clarke (Son of Christopher W. Ford.)|
|1915 to 1916||Skene, Justin Lee|
|1917 to 1919||Griffin, Frederick|
|1920 to 1948||Idsardi, Harold|
The house was a private residence until 1948.
In 1949, the house underwent renovations to become an apartment building, and the old building materials were for sale.
In 1950, the house became “The Elphege Apartments.” (The name “Elphege” came from the middle name of Joseph Elphege Gouin, who was the owner of the property.)
Joseph Elphege Gouin died in Edmonton, Alberta on July 15, 1967.
Also in 1967, the house was for sale.
In 1980, the City of Vancouver received an application to construct a new three-storey apartment building on the property.
By December 1982, the new apartments were available for sale.
The building was called “Gilford Mews.”
Gilford Mews, 1019 Gilford, Vancouver; http://www.6717000.com/building-gilford-mews.
Gilford Mews, 1019 Gilford St, Vancouver; https://condos.ca/vancouver/gilford-mews-1019-gilford-st.