994 Denman Street was near the northeast corner of Denman Street and Nelson Street.
Until about 1911, the lot was vacant.
There is one reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1[searched October 30, 2019].
|Owner:||Austin, A. E.|
|Architect:||Brehant, W. W.|
|Builder:||Atkins, J. E.|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 58 Sub: Resub: Lot: S 1/2 15|
|Street Name:||Denman Street|
The owner was Albert Ernest Austin (1878-1931).
The person named as “architect” on the building permit was Wellington Whitfield Brehaut (1870–1915), who was actually a building contractor.
The builder was probably James Ernest Atkins (1879-1962).
Further details appear on the page for 986 Denman Street.
Vancouver directory listings from 1904 to 1920. (Note: listings appear for the years 1904 to 1910, even before the 1911 building permit (above).
|1904||Collinson, Frederick Angus|
|1906||Cater, Samuel Albert|
|1910||Hawkes, John Aylesford|
|1914 to 1917||Hayes, Mary Elizabeth|
In 1911 and 1912, the contents of the building were for sale by auction.
In later years, this address was the home of a series of businesses, including Denman Tailors, a dental office, a dress shop, and a barber shop.
In more recent years, 994 Denman Street has tended not to appear as a separate address.