1958 Barclay Street was on the south side of Barclay Street, between Gilford Street and Chilco Street.
Legal description: District Lot: 185; Block 68; Lot 12.
In June 1907, the City of Vancouver issued a building permit for this lot. The owner was William Tuff Whiteway, and the value of the construction was $7,000.
There is one reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched January 11, 2020].
|Owner:||Whiteway, W. T.|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 68 Sub: Resub: Lot: 12|
|Street Name:||Barclay Street|
|Remarks:||Frame dwelling [WP 10145 issued June-12-1907; VDW June-14-1907 p3; PROV June-22-1907 p26;]|
Vancouver directory listings for 1958 Barclay Street from 1908 to 1926.
|1908 to 1916||Whiteway, William Tuff|
|1917 to 1919||Campbell, Duncan Robert|
|1920 to 1926||Macrae, John Kenneth|
Members of the William Tuff Whiteway family later lived in the house until the late 1950s.
Rooms in the house were available for rent from time to time until the early 1960s.
By early 1963, an apartment building called “Lagoon Villa” had appeared on the site.
Lagoon Villa, 1958 Barclay Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada; http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=59233.
Lagoon Villa Apartments, 1958 Barclay Street, sales brochure, by Avison Young; http://images3.loopnet.com/d2/yeYQd9DywPrh9A3MYDXx1AZLHrJU5QX8_M1SiBKsxaM/document.pdf.