2043 Pendrell Street was on the north side of Pendrell Street, west of Chilco Street. It was in a block of closely-packed houses on fairly narrow lots. There was also a small cottage at the rear of the property.
Legal Description: District Lot 185; Block 70; east half of Lot 24.
There are no references to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched August 26, 2019].
Vancouver directory listings from 1907 to 1920.
|1907 to 1912||Pengelley, Robert John|
|1913||Batey, Robert Bruce|
|1914||Hogg, John Pitcairn|
|1915 to 1918||Chasteney, Alfred Gunton|
|1915||Kenyon, George Frederick (rear of 2043 Pendrell)|
|1919 to 1920||Barnes, John Wickham|
|1919||Denning, Ernest Charles (listed as Dinning, Ernest C.) (rear of 2043 Pendrell)|
|1920||Morgan, George (rear of 2043 Pendrell)|
From the 1920s through the 1950s, the house was a private residence that offered self-contained suites for rent.
In 1940 and 1941, the property was for sale, including both the main house and the cottage at the rear of the property.
The house continued to offer rental accommodations.
The house continued to offer rental accommodations until the early 1960s.
Bungalow at Rear of 2043 Pendrell Street
Along with the main house on the lot, there was a three-room bungalow cottage at the rear of the property. It was often for rent.
In 1913, the cottage at the rear was for rent with a one-year lease. (The “R.J.P.” in the advertisement below was Robert John Pengelley.)
In 1926, the contents of the cottage at the rear were for sale by auction.
The entire lot, including both the main house and the cottage at the rear, later became part of the lot for Panorama Place apartments. Further information appears on the page for 2055 Pendrell Street.