Starting about 1910, the Beach House stood on the western part of the triangular area surrounded by Beach Ave, Morton Ave, and Denman Street.
NOTE: Although the caption at the flickr.com link above refers to the Boathouse Restaurant at 1795 Beach Avenue, the photo above does seem to be the Beach House Ltd. building, not the Boathouse Restaurant building.A company called Beach House Ltd. operated the business.
John Knox Mecredy (1860-1915) was the secretary of the company. Mr. Mecredy, who was born in Ireland, had a colourful series of business adventures in Australia before arriving in Vancouver about 1895. In the early 1900s, Mr. Mecredy became the manager of the English Bay Bathing and Athletic Club, which was at 1842 Beach Avenue, so it probably wasn’t difficult for him to start with the Beach House. The company itself didn’t stay around for long; within a few years, the building was a prominent location for advertising billboards.
Beach House Building
Beach House Ltd. applied for a building permit for the clubhouse in 1909. [http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1]
|Owner:||Beache Company Ltd.|
|Architect:||Pearce, J. S.|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 71 Sub: Resub: Lot: 14|
|Street Name:||Beach Avenue|
|Remarks:||Frame club house|
John S. Pearce was an architect who had offices in Vancouver and in Victoria, BC, from about 1904 to about 1909. “John S. Pearce,” Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950, http://www.dictionaryofarchitectsincanada.org/node/611.
The building was apparently finished by about 1910, and it was still there until at least 1919, when it appeared in a panorama photograph of English Bay during the Great Peace celebrations on July 19, 1919.