1949 Barclay Street was on the north side of Barclay Street, about midway between Gilford Street and Chilco Street.
Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 67, Lot 25.
There is one reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched January 30, 2013].
|Owner:||Whiteway, W. T.|
|Architect:||Whiteway, W. T.|
|Builder:||Whiteway, W. T.|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 67 Sub: Resub: Lot: 25|
|Street Name:||Barclay Street|
Vancouver directory listings for 1949 Barclay Street from 1905 to 1921.
|1905 to 1907||Whiteway, William Tuff|
|1908 to 1910||Holden, William Matthew|
|1911 to 1912||Bright, John Benjamin|
|1913 to 1915||Irvine, James Duncan|
|1917 to 1920||Dawson, Charles Edward|
|1920 and 1921||Symons, William West|
By 1922, rooms in the house were available for rent.
The house was still offering rental accommodation in the early 1960s.
In April 1963, “The Edgemont” apartment building was on the site.
The Edgemont, 1949 Barclay Street, Vancouver BC Canada; http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=54090.
The Edgemont, 1949 Barclay Street; http://www.prospero.ca/residential/downtown-west-end/16-edgemont-apartments.