1884 Haro Street was on the southeast corner of Haro Street and Gilford Street.
Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 67, Lot 7.
There is one reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits:http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched February 8, 2014].
|Owner:||Rounsfell, F. M.|
|Architect:||Parr & Fee|
|Builder:||Rounsfell, F. M.|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 67 Sub: Resub: Lot: 7|
|Street Name:||Haro Street & Gilford Street|
Vancouver directory listings for 1884 Haro Street from 1904 to 1941:
|1904 to 1912||Rounsefell, Francis William|
|1913||Tatlow, Elizabeth Mary (daughter of Henry John Cambie)|
|1914 to 1915||Gordon, Robert William|
|1918||Ceperley, Henry Tracy|
|1919||Netherby, Arthur Brittain|
|1920 to 1941||MacDonald, William Alexander|
Henry Tracy Ceperley lived briefly in the house in 1918.
The house belonged to William Alexander MacDonald from 1920 until he moved to Shaughnessy Heights in 1942.
The house was a rooming house from 1942 until the early 1950s.
In July 1954, the rooming house furniture was for sale.
In August 1954, a wrecking crew demolished the house, and various components of the house were for sale.
By March 1955, a new apartment block was on the site, with an address of 1890 Haro Street.
The building was called “El Navaro.”
Apartments in Vancouver’s West End (late 1940s and 1950s) by Semmens and Simpson Architects, photos by Brian Sutherland; http://www.greggsimpson.com/DC_Simpson_Apartments.html. Includes photograph of 1890 Haro Street.