1840 Pendrell Street was on the south side of Pendrell Street, between Denman Street and Gilford Street.
Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 70, Lot 4 (north half).
There is one reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1[searched April 27, 2019; the street address is 1842 Pendrell Street, rather than 1840 Pendrell Street].
|Architect:||Sharpe & Thompson|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 71 Sub: Resub: Lot: 4|
|Street Name:||Pendrell Street|
|Remarks:||Frame d house|
Major Archibald Rowan lived in this house from 1912 to 1915 and from 1917 to 1922. The house was vacant in 1916.
Beginning in the early 1920s, the house often advertised rental accommodation.
During the Second World War, the Wartime Prices and Trade Board restricted rent increases as part of its mission to control the economy and to keep inflation under control.
In 1943, the landlord at 1840 Pendrell Street was charged with an unauthorized rent increase.
The court dismissed the claim in respect of 1840 Pendrell Street, because improvements to the house justified the increases in rent. A case involving another address resulted in a fine against the landlord.
The house continued as a rental property until the 1950s.
The lot later became part of the parking lot for Ocean Towers.