Gilford Street runs between English Bay and Coal Harbour.
Source of name
Gilford Street is named after Gilford Island.
This is one of the streets that Lauchlan Hamilton named after features on a Pacific Coast admiralty chart. Gilford Island was named after Captain Richard James Meade, who later became Viscount Gilford, and who was captain of the HMS Tribune, which served on the Pacific coast from 1862 to 1864.
John T. Walbran, British Columbia Coast Names: Their Origin and History, Ottawa, Government Printing Bureau, 1909, page 207 [reprinted: Vancouver, Douglas & McIntyre Ltd., 1971].
Elizabeth Walker, Street Names of Vancouver, 1999, pp. 46-47.
These links lead to individual houses and other buildings.