Giguere, Alphonse

Henderson’s Greater Vancouver City Directory, 1914, Part 1, page 852

Henderson’s Greater Vancouver City Directory, 1914, Part 1, page 852

Alphonse Giguere was a fruit merchant and confectioner. He lived and worked at 1968 Georgia Street in 1913 and 1914. He operated a store at 1800 Georgia Street from 1916 to 1918, and he lived at 1814 Georgia Street in 1917 and 1918.

There is little information available for Alphonse Giguere. His name was quite common in eastern Canada, especially Quebec, so perhaps he came from there.

He first appeared in the Vancouver directories in 1913. He lived at the following addresses.

1913 1968 Georgia Street (listed as Gigure at 968 Georgia Street under names)
1914 1968 Georgia Street
1915 1671 Alberni Street
1916 1800 Georgia Street
1917 1814 Georgia Street
1918 1800 Georgia Street

He had his business at the following addresses.

1913 1968 Georgia Street (listed as Gigure at 968 Georgia Street under names)
1914 1789 Georgia Street and 1968 Georgia Street
1915 to 1918 1800 Georgia Street (listed as A.G. Guere in 1915)

1968 Georgia Street, Goad’s Atlas of Vancouver, volume 1; Vancouver City Archives, 1972-582.23; Plate 48 [Denman Street to Georgia Street to Chilco Street to Haro Street] (detail)

1968 Georgia Street, Goad’s Atlas of Vancouver, volume 1; Vancouver City Archives, 1972-582.23; Plate 48 [Denman Street to Georgia Street to Chilco Street to Haro Street] (detail)

1968 Georgia Street continued to be the home of various types of businesses through the 1950s and 1960s.

1968 Georgia Street, 1957, Vancouver City Archives, Bu P508.2 - [Exterior of A.J. McBain Co. Ltd - 1968 West Georgia Street]; http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/exterior-of-j-mcbain-co-ltd-1968-west-georgia-street

1968 Georgia Street, 1957, Vancouver City Archives, Bu P508.2 – [Exterior of A.J. McBain Co. Ltd – 1968 West Georgia Street]; http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/exterior-of-j-mcbain-co-ltd-1968-west-georgia-street

1800 continued as a business location through the 1920s and early 1930s.

1814 and 1800 Georgia Street, Goad’s Atlas of Vancouver, volume 1; Vancouver City Archives, 1972-582.23; Plate 48 [Denman Street to Georgia Street to Chilco Street to Haro Street] (detail)

1814 and 1800 Georgia Street, Goad’s Atlas of Vancouver, volume 1; Vancouver City Archives, 1972-582.23; Plate 48 [Denman Street to Georgia Street to Chilco Street to Haro Street] (detail)

1800 Georgia Street later became the location of the Ensign Motor Supply Company. It appears that 1814 Georgia Street is the house in the right rear, below.

Vancouver City Archives, Str N46.01 - [Ensign Motor Supply Company, 1800 West Georgia St.], about 1926, http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/ensign-motor-supply-company-1800-west-georgia-st

Vancouver City Archives, Str N46.01 – [Ensign Motor Supply Company, 1800 West Georgia St.], about 1926, http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/ensign-motor-supply-company-1800-west-georgia-st