1839 Morton Avenue was on the north side of Morton Avenue, west of Denman Street.
Legal Description: District Lot: 185; Block 71; east half of Lot 4.
There are no references to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched April 1, 2019].
Vancouver directory listings from 1909 to 1920.
|1909||Fraser, Archibald Brydone|
|1909 to 1911||Rowan, Archibald|
|1913||Collier, Frederick Skelding|
|1914||Vaux, Gilbert John|
|1915||Gibbon, John Elmslie|
|1916||Mauris, Henri Louis|
|1917 to 1919||Woolstone, Thomas Edwin|
|1920||Burnell, Henry Edward|
The house often offered rental accommodations.
In February 1928, the contents of the house were for sale by auction.
In 1937, the City of Vancouver’s civic board of planning appeal gave permission to move the houses at 1837 Morton Avenue and 1839 Morton Avenue to the Pendrell Street end of the lots. There were plans to use the Morton Avenue frontage for a two-storey apartment building.
The proposed move of the houses did not occur. They were still in their original places in 1954.
In April 1955, the house was for sale.
In May 1955, a fired damaged the house.
By 1959, the house had disappeared to make way for the Ocean Towers apartment building. (Also gone were Morton Lodge and the houses at 1841 Morton Avenue, 1839 Morton Avenue and 1835 Morton Avenue.)