2001 Beach Avenue was on the northwest corner of Beach Avenue and Chilco Street from about 1907 to 1959.
The architects were Parr and Fee, and the house has the distinctive round tower that appears on many Parr and Fee houses.
Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 71, Lot 14.
There is one reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched October 25, 2020].
|Architect:||Parr & Fee [VDW]|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 71 Sub: Resub: Lot: 14|
|Street Name:||Pacific Street [Beach Avenue]|
|Remarks:||Frame dwelling; [ADD; ALD; PROV Jan-18-1907, pp. 25-27; VDW Apr-24-1904 [sic: 1906] p. 4 tender call; WP8877 issued May-22-1906 to G. H. French for Beach Ave.]|
By 1907, the French family was living in the house.
Vancouver directory listings for 2001 Beach Avenue from 1907 to 1941:
1907 to 1941
|French, George Henry and family.|
The house remained a private residence until the 1950s.
In April 1959, a building company asked for bids to remove or to demolish the house.
In May 1959, a house-wrecking company demolished the house.
In the summer of 1960, an apartment building called “The Wind and the Sea” appeared on the site, with an address of 2001 Beach Avenue.
For many years, the building featured a pink and white exterior.
The building later became known as “Sunset and Sea.”
Biographical Dictionary of Canadian Architects, 1800-1950; PARR, John Edmeston (1856-1923); http://dictionaryofarchitectsincanada.org/node/1380: “Beach Avenue, at Chilco Street, for Capt. George H. French, 1906; demol. (Vancouver Daily World, 24 April 1906, 4, t.c.; inf. Patrick Gunn, Vancouver)
Sunset & Sea, 2001 Beach Avenue, construction date 1960, http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=54092.