1997 Beach Avenue was on the north side of Beach Avenue, just east of the intersection with Chilco Street. It was one of four houses near the northeast corner of Beach Avenue and Chilco Street.
For some periods, part of the house had an address of 1991 Beach Avenue.
Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 71, east half of Lot 13.
Although the four houses had the same general shape, the two westernmost houses on Lot 13 (1999 Beach Avenue and 1991/1997 Beach Avenue) were slightly older than the two houses on Lot 12. In the photograph below, the houses on Lot 13 are present, but lot 12, to the right, is still unoccupied.
By about 1908, all four houses were present.
1997 Beach Avenue
There are no references to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched March 28, 2019].
Vancouver directory listings from 1905 to late 1950s.
|1905||McGregor, John Dawson|
|1906 to 1932||Kayll, Andrew James|
|1933 to late 1950s||Kayll, Swinburne Annandale (son of Kayll, Andrew James)|
The 1911 Vancouver names directory listed Rufus Halsey Roys at 1997 Beach Avenue.
In 1905 and 1906, Isabella Bunn offered piano lessons at 1997 Beach Avenue.
The Kayll family lived at this address until the late 1950s.
In later years, the house offered rental accommodation.
1991 Beach Avenue
Although the Vancouver directories normally did not include a separate street listing for 1991 Beach Avenue, this address did appear in newspaper articles and advertisements from time to time.
In 1973, the owner of the four Beach Avenue houses was preparing to demolish the houses to make room for a new apartment building. The project also involved two houses on Pendrell Street that were behind the Beach Avenue houses.
The tenants in the Beach Avenue houses tried to delay the demolition.
However, the old houses did not survive long, and by 1975 the new building was heading to completion.
The new building was called “Huntington West,” probably as a reference to the Huntington Apartments, which were at 1915 Beach Avenue. (Further information appears on the page for 1901 Beach Avenue.)
In the fall of 1975, the developers were advertising rental suites in the new building.
The building later became a strata-titled ownership building.
Rainbows in Our Walls: Art and Stained Glass in Vancouver, 1890-1940, by Robert D. Watt; Vancouver, Vancouver Centennial Museum [Vancouver Museums and Planetarium Association], 1980, page 4, exhibit note 17: “Art glass ‘piano’ window from parlour of 1997 Beach Avenue, a home first occupied in 1906 by Andrew J. Kayall [sic], clerk with Vancouver Warehouses Ltd. Donation: MacCaulay Nicholls Maitland Limited, 1973. 95 cm. x 26.5 cm. H973.33.1.” See also page 5, illustration note 29: “Beach Avenue before 1914. 1997 is third house from right. Photo: Vancouver City Archives.” [Note: This may be a reference to Vancouver City Archives, Be P102 – [English Bay Pier pilings and view of Beach Avenue]; http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/english-bay-pier-pilings-and-view-of-beach-avenue]
“More highrises for Kits, West End,” by Bob Smith; The Grape [newspaper], March 14-28, 1973, page 3. [refers to houses on 1900 block of Beach Avenue; similar to “Demolition delay sought by tenants,” Vancouver Province, March 14, 1973, page 37, columns 3-4.]
Huntington West, 1995 Beach Avenue; https://bccondos.net/1995-beach. [Note: this reference states that the building dates from 1996, not 1975.]
Huntington West, 1995 Beach Avenue; https://condos.ca/vancouver/huntington-west-1995-beach-ave [Note: says the building was registered on June 9, 1987. This may be the date that the building became a strata-titled building.]