1925 Pendrell Street was on the north side of Pendrell Street, west of the intersection with Gilford Street. (Some early sources give the address as 1929 Pendrell Street or 1923 Pendrell Street.)
Legal Description: District Lot 185; Block 70; west half of Lot 32.
There is one probable reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched April 23, 2019].
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 70 Sub: Resub: Lot: 32|
|Street Name:||Pendrell Street|
Note: the reference to “O. Mitchell” might actually be “A. Mitchell.” Andrew Mitchell was a carpenter and building contractor. In 1903, he was living at 619 Hamilton Street. Also in 1903, Robert Kerr was living at 619 Hamilton Street. In 1903, Mr. Kerr built the house at 1917 Pendrell Street, which was on the northeast corner of lot 32.
Vancouver directory listings from 1904 to 1934:
|1904||Campbell, Roderick Sr.|
|1905 to 1909||Mackenzie, Duncan (listed as Malcolm Mackenzie in 1905 street directory)|
|1910 to 1934||Ritchie, George|
In early 1936, Herga Riches taught music in the house.
Later that year, she moved her music studio to Kelly’s music store on Granville Street.
In the fall of 1936, the house was for rent.
The house continued to offer rental accommodation during the late 1930s and early 1940s.
In 1944, Herbert William Green (1891-1979) moved into 1925 Pendrell Street. He was the son of Roger Henry Carleton Green, a lawyer who built the house at 1919 Robson Street. Herbert Green was also a lawyer, and he had been living at 1919 Robson Street until 1943. The National Housing Administration took over the Robson Street house and converted it accommodation for tenants whose work was important for the war effort.
Shortly after Mr. Green moved to the Pendrell Street house, he began to complain about the large numbers of pigeons that were disturbing the area’s residents.
Herbert Green lived in the house until 1964. He died on August 18, 1964, while he was in Luxembourg. (Further details appear on the page for Roger Henry Carleton Green.)
The house became a rooming house.
1925 Pendrell Street and 1915 Pendrell Street were demolished in the 1980s. The lot became part of a new condominium apartment building that also included the former site of Gilford Court at 1901 Pendrell Street. (Further information appears on the page for 1901 Pendrell Street.)