2030 Beach Avenue was on the south side of Beach Avenue, west of Chilco Street.
Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 71, east half of Lot 25.
There is one reference to lots 24 and 25 in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched May 9, 2016]. (This permit appears to relate to the Englesea Lodge, which is was on lot 24. The street number for Englesea Lodge later became 2046 Beach Avenue.)
|Architect:||White, W. P.|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 71 Sub: Resub: Lot: 24-25|
|Street Name:||Beach Avenue|
In 1924, Annie McKiel Davidson, the wife of Augustus Alexander Davidson, applied to the Province of British Columbia to settle the title to the foreshore that adjoined lots 24 and 25. The federal government had given a “quit claim” in 1906, which was intended to transfer the federal Crown’s interest in the foreshore to Mrs. Davidson.
The Province of British Columbia and the federal Crown signed the “Six Harbours Agreement” in 1924. The agreement clarified the nature of federal and provincial jurisdiction over six harbours in British Columbia.
The federal Crown had formerly understood that it had jurisdiction over parts of harbours, including English Bay, and this would likely have been the basis for the 1906 quit claim to Mrs. Davidson. However, after the Six Harbours Agreement came into force, it appears that the provincial Crown would have had jurisdiction over the foreshore of English Bay.
The agreement stated that the province could issue documents to clarify the title for individual land owners. It is possible that the agreement was the reason that Mrs. Davidson obtained her quit claim from the province.
The Port of Vancouver website includes maps that show the the port’s current areas of jurisdiction in the Vancouver area:
- Interactive map: http://www.portvancouver.com/port-dashboard/interactive-map/
- Jurisdictional map: http://www.portvancouver.com/port-dashboard/jurisdictional-map/
Augustus Alexander Davidson lived at 2030 Beach Avenue from 1906 to 1925.
The house later offered rooms for rent.
In 1951, house-wreckers demolished the house.
The City of Vancouver added this site to the rest of the park space along the shore of English Bay.
Ron McDougall, Vancouver Beginnings IX; June 27, 2017; https://rtmcdougall.wordpress.com/2017/06/27/: “We lived on Burrard Street until 1950 when we moved to 2030 Beach Avenue into a house located at the entrance to Stanley Park. Gran did not move with us, she remained at Burrard Street and continued to rent out rooms. The house was between Englesea Lodge and the pier. It was a huge house.”