In 1899, G.W. Blackman obtained a permit to build four houses on Georgia Street.
The houses were near the corner of Georgia Street and Chilco Street. The house numbers were 1954, 1964, 1968, and 1974.
A Note on the Architect
G.W. Blackman appeared in the 1899-1900 Vancouver directory as an architect, living at 1225 Georgia Street. Sydney Blackman, a builder, was also living at 1225 Georgia Street.
G.W. Blackman may have been living in Melbourne, Australia, in the early 1890s.
It appears that he was George W. Blackman, who was born in Australia in 1857.
In the 1901 Canada census, a contractor named “George W. Blakman” was living in Victoria, British Columbia [“Canada Census, 1901,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KHV2-4B5 : 16 December 2019), George W Blakman, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada; citing p. 4, Library and Archives of Canada, Ottawa.]
An architect named G. W. Blackman was in Wellington, New Zealand in 1907.
No further information is available for this person.
The four houses on Georgia Street were essentially the same design, although two were mirror images of the others.
The following photograph shows 1954 Georgia Street, with a portion of 1964 Georgia Street on the right.
This is a detail of 1954 Georgia Street.
In 1904, Whitfield Walker Stuart built a short-lived infill building at the front of lot 13. It appears to be a pre-fabricated building, possibly from the B.C. Mills Timber and Trading Company.
In 1908, Whitfield Walker Stuart built a new building at the corner of Georgia Street and Chilco Street; its main street address was 1974 Georgia Street.
It appears that Mr. Stuart demolished or moved the buildings that had been on the west half of lot 13. (Further information on this building appears under 1974 Georgia Street.)
By 1909, the house at 1968 Georgia Street was at the front of lot 13. It also received a new lower floor, turning it into a three-storey building.
The following photographs show 1968 Georgia Street in the 1950s and 1960s.
These properties later became part of the site of the Laguna Parkside apartment building, which has an address of 1925 Alberni Street. (Further information appears on the page for the Horse Show Building.)
Further details on the houses appear on the individual pages for each house.
Thanks to Patrick Gunn for the information from the Vancouver World, the water permit records, and the reference to the B.C. Mills Timber and Trading Company.
Vancouver’s Growing Time; Building Erected and in Process of Construction for 1899; Vancouver Daily World, September 30, 1899, at page 3: G. W. Blackman, Georgia Street, 4 residences $12,000 [$3,000 each].
Water permits, City of Vancouver Archives:
|Number 3739||April 1, 1899; G. W. Blackman; Georgia Street; DL 185; Blk 65; Lot E 1/2 of 12|
|Number 3740||April 1, 1899; G. W. Blackman; Georgia Street; DL 185; Blk 65; Lot W 1/2 of 13|
|Number 3741||April 1, 1899; G. W. Blackman; Georgia Street; DL 185; Blk 65; Lot E 1/2 of 13|
|Number 3742||April 1, 1899; G. W. Blackman; Georgia Street; DL 185; Blk 65; Lot W 1/2 of 12|
The Age (Melbourne, Victoria), May 7, 1890, page 8, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/196970986: “Blackman— On the 4th May, at Edsall-street, Malvern, the wife of G. W. Blackman, contractor, of a daughter.”
The Age (Melbourne, Victoria), October 10, 1891, page 11, column 6, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/imageservice/nla.news-page18425541/print: “Floor Laying, large job, labor only, corner Dandenong and Kooyong rds., Armadale. G.W. Blackman, contractor.”