1901 Pendrell Street (Gilford Court) was an apartment building on the northwest corner of Pendrell Street and Gilford Streetr. The architects were Sharpe & Thompson. Cyril Tweedale was the owner of the property.
Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 70, Lot: south half of lot 33.
There is one reference to the building in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched December 30, 2013].
|Architect:||Sharpe & Thompson|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 70 Sub: Resub: Lot: S 1/2 of 33|
|Street Name:||Pendrell Street|
Gilford Court began offering rental suites in 1912.
The sides of the building that did not face directly onto the main streets were relatively plain.
A developer demolished the building in December 1981.
In 1984, a new condominium apartment building appeared on site. The building occupied both the original lot and the property next door that was the former location of 1915 Pendrell Street and 1925 Pendrell Street.
The new building followed the general style and dimensions of the original structure, and it kept the name of “Gilford Court.” Its address was 1125 Gilford Street.
Sharp & Thompson, by David Monteyne, in Building the West: Early Architects of British Columbia, compiled and edited by Donald Luxton; Vancouver, Talonbooks, 2003, pages 348-349, 517.