1877 Haro Street is a three-storey building called the King George Apartments. Its name commemorates the Canadian visit of King George the Sixth and Queen Elizabeth in 1939.
The building is on the north side of Haro Street, east of Gilford Street.
Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 66, Lot 32.
Until 1938, there was no Vancouver directory listing for 1877 Haro Street. It appears that Lot 32 was vacant, and that it formed part of the yard of 1889 Haro Street.
In September 1938, E. M. Craig and Company Limited obtained a permit to construct an apartment building at 1877 Haro Street.
Early advertisements called the new building “The Arlington.”
By March 1939, the advertisements for the building at 1877 Haro Street were referring to “King George Apartments.” The new building was to be available for rentals starting on April 1.
In 1939, the building was almost completely occupied.
In 1949, the owner of 1877 Haro Street sold it (along with the Bowes-Lyon Apartments at Burnaby Street and Bidwell Street).
The building has remained on the site to the present time.
“Newest Apartment Building Will Perpetuate Royal Visit to City; Haro Street Building Handsomely Appointed; Twenty-Seven Modern Suites Made Available In Three Floors of Apartment Built by E.M. Craig Ltd.” Vancouver Sun, March 25, 1939, page 26, columns 3-5.
The King George, 1877 Haro Street; http://equitablerealestate.ca/buildings/the-king-george/.