1891 Nelson Street was on the northeast corner of Nelson Street and Gilford Street.
It appears that the house address was originally 990 Gilford Street. Various sources used 990 Gilford Street and 1891 Nelson Street somewhat interchangeably until about 1918, when the usual description became 1891 Nelson Street.
Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 68, Lot 34.
There is one reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched February 7, 2019].
|Owner:||Stoess, C. A.|
|Architect:||Honeyman & Curtis|
|Builder:||Sherbourne, F. T.|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 68 Sub: Resub: Lot: 34|
|Street Name:||Gilford Street & Nelson Street|
Vancouver directory listings from 1911 to 1922.
|1904 to 1917||Stoess, Charles Anthony|
|1918||Truell, Newton Theodore|
|1919 to 1922||Thorne, Henry James|
In 1917, the house was available to rent.
The house offered rental accommodation through the 1930s.
In April 1939, the house was for sale.
In February 1940, house-wreckers demolished the house.
Since 1940 a building called “Esher Court” has been on the site.