The Simpson Block was a four-storey apartment building at the northeast corner of Denman Street and Davie Street.
The outside of the building had a distinctive pattern of ochre and dark red bricks.
The owners of the building were the Simpson brothers (William and Zack Simpson). (Further information appears on the page for Zachariah Simpson: https://westendvancouver.wordpress.com/biographies-n-z/biographies-s/simpson-zachariah-1849-1910/.)
The date of the building permit was December 29, 1911, and the cost of the building was $75,000. The architects were Townsend and Townsend, who built many other buildings in Vancouver, many with the distinctive brick pattern on the outside. (See Changing Vancouver for two examples: https://changingvancouver.wordpress.com/tag/townsend-townsend/.)
|Architect:||Townsend & Townsend|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 61 Sub: Resub: Lot: S 1/2 15|
|Street Name:||Davie Street|
|Remarks:||Stores & apartments (also 1190-1198 Denman Street)|
Vancouver Building Permits, Heritage Vancouver; http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/ [searched April 7, 2018].
Zack Simpson owned the Simpson Block until he died in 1949. His widow, Lydia, sold the building in 1950.
In 1972, the Sands Hotel was planning to build a 23-storey building on the corner, but it did not go ahead.
The Vancouver City Archives image below is dated 1977, but it is somewhat earlier than that, because the building was demolished in 1976.
In 1975, a fire damaged much of the building.
In 1976, the building was demolished.
A low-rise building later replaced the Simpson Block.
Vancouver Public Library, Vancouver Building Register; Simpson Block; https://ipac2.vpl.ca/ipac20/ipac.jsp?profile=comres.
“The West End, before the high-rises,” Vancouver Province, September 30, 1972, page 5.
“Innovators, battle wrecker,” Vancouver Sun, May 24, 1973, page 20.
“Three for the money, two to go,” Vancouver Province, December 4, 1975, page 54.
“English Bay landmark, illus. and caption only,” Vancouver Sun, April 6, 1976, page 21.