1818 Barclay Street was on the south side of Barclay Street, just west of Denman Street.
Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 68, Lot 2.
There is one reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched February 1, 2019].
|Owner:||Harvey, R. V.|
|Architect:||Honeyman & Curtis|
|Builder:||Baynes & Horie|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 68 Sub: Resub: Lot: 1 & 2|
|Street Name:||Barclay Street|
|Remarks:||Frame dwelling addition|
The listed owner is “R.V. Harvey,” who was probably Robert Valentine Harvey. He was born in Liverpool, England on August 29, 1872. He arrived in Vancouver about 1899, and was a school instructor and later headmaster at Queen’s School in Vancouver. In 1908, he became Warden at University School of Victoria. In September 1914, he enlisted as a Captain in the Canadian Expeditionary Force. He was wounded and taken prisoner by the Germans in the Second Battle of Ypres, and he died in a prison hospital on May 8, 1915.
Vancouver directory listings for 1818 Barclay Street from 1897 to 1920:
|1897 to 1900||Robson, Charles William [listed as “Denman and Barclay”]|
|1901||Robson, Charles William [listed as “Robinson, C.W.,” at 1841 Barclay]|
|1902||Robson, Charles William|
|1903 to 1904||Harrison, David Howard|
|1905||Kent, Herbert William|
|1906 to 1911||Harrison, Katherine Stevenson|
|1912 to 1916||Harrison, George Stevenson|
|1917 to 1920||Harrison, Katherine Stevenson|
In the 1920s the house was a private residence and a rooming house.
The house was for sale in 1941.
It was for sale again in 1944.
The house continued to offer rental accommodation in the 1940s and early 1950s.
In January 1956, the contents of the house were for sale.
In February 1956, a house-wrecking company demolished the house.
In 1956 a new building was under construction on the site.
Rental suites in the building became available on December 1, 1956.
In late 1956, a corporation called Datchet Court Limited took over the ownership of the building. In 1963, Datchet Court was the subject of a shareholder dispute.
In April 1985, a fire and explosion destroyed the building.
In October 1985, a firm of architects applied to construct a 27-unit apartment building on the site.
The building was called “Linscott Court,” and the original marketing was for condominium units.
The building later became a rental building.
Saint Michael’s University School; Saint Michael’s University School, School Ties, page 17; http://www.smus.ca/sites/default/files/assets/publications/pdfs/smus_sch_ties_spring03.pdf
1901 Census of Canada, District: BC Burrard (#1); Subdistrict: Vancouver (City/Cité) D-4, page 7, line 5.
1911 Census of Canada, District: BC Nanaimo (#10); Subdistrict: 8, Saanich Ward I, page 12, line 35.