1814 Georgia Street was on the south side of Georgia Street, just west of Denman Street. Part of it appears in the right rear of the photograph above.
A more detailed view of the house appears below.
Legal description: District Lot 185, Block 65, west half of Lot 1 (sometimes as east half of lot 2).
In September 1899, William Blackmur obtained a permit to build a house on Georgia Street. (This appears to be the house at 1814 Georgia Street. William Blackmur lived at 1814 Georgia Street in 1900 and 1901.)
There is one reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched November 1, 2019].
|Owner:||Boult, G. A.|
|Architect:||Boult, G. A.|
|Builder:||Blackwell, M. F.|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 65 Sub: Resub: Lot:|
|Street Name:||Georgia Street W|
|Remarks:||Moving d house|
Vancouver directory listings from 1900 to 1920.
|1900 to 1901||Blackmur, William|
|1900 to 1902||Green, Frank Stanley|
|1902||Blackmur, Mrs. William (widow of William Blackmur)|
|1903 to 1909||Ferris, William|
|1910 to 1912||Jones, Arthur|
|1913||Helliwell, Ernest Frank|
|1914 to 1916||Larmour Robert Ernest|
|1917 to 1918||Giguere, Alphonse|
|1919 to 1920||Routledge, Henry Boyle|
The house offered rental accommodation for much of its history.
In 1933, thieves tried to tunnel into the vault of the Royal Bank, which was at the southwest corner of Georgia Street and Denman Street. The source of the tunnel may have been the basement of the house at 1814 Georgia Street. Further details appear on the page for 1800 Georgia Street: https://westendvancouver.wordpress.com/streets-a-to-h/georgia-street-2/1800-georgia-street/1800-georgia-street/.
In 1945, a fire damaged the house.
In 1951, the house at 1814 Georgia Street was for sale, along with the house at 1815 Alberni Street.
The house continued to offer rental accommodations in the 1950s.
In 1956, house wreckers demolished the house (along with the house at 1815 Alberni Street).
A new commercial rental building was on the site in 1957.
The new building is the one-storey structure in the middle right of the photograph below.
A series of retail businesses occupied this location.
1960s and 1970s: Boat Propeller Dealer
1984: Fitness Firm
1985: Consignment Store
Late 1980s: Captain Video
The lot later became part of the Lumière condominium development at 1863 Alberni Street.