1968 Georgia Street was one of four similar houses on the south side of Georgia Street, near the intersection with Chilco Street. (See the page on 1954 Georgia Street for detailed early photographs of one of the houses. The page on Whitfield Walker Stuart has a more detailed view of the store in front of 1974 Georgia Street.)
In 1899, G.W. Blackman obtained a permit to build four houses on Georgia Street.
It appears that he was George W. Blackman, who was born in Australia in 1857. (Further information appears on the page for 1954 Georgia Street, 1964 Georgia Street, 1968 Georgia Street and 1974 Georgia Street.)
Early plans show all four houses set back from the street front.
Whitfield Walker Stuart lived in the house at 1974 Georgia Street from 1904 to 1907. In 1908, he obtained a permit to build an apartment building at the southeast corner of Georgia Street and Chilco Street.
|Owner:||Stuart, Mr. W. W. [Stuart Building]|
|Architect:||Watson, Henry Barton [VDW]|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 65 Sub: Resub: Lot: 13|
|Street Name:||Georgia Street W & Chilco Street (SE corner)|
|Remarks:||3-storey frame apartment house; [ALD; VDW Nov-14-1908 p19]|
Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1: [Searched January 5, 2020.]
The new building was finished by the spring of 1909.
About the same time as the new apartment building was going up, the house at 1968 Georgia Street was moved to the north end of its lot, so that its front was directly on Georgia Street. The house was raised, as well, and the new ground floor became the location of a store and restaurant.
Vancouver directory listings from 1900 to 1920.
|1902 to 1906||Jenns, Eustace Alvanley|
|1907 to 1908||Williams, John Scott|
|1909||Stanley Park Inn (Harry Plummer McCool)|
|1911 to 1913||McKenzie, William|
|1911||Thompson, John E. (upstairs)|
|1913 to 1914||Giguere, Alphonse|
|1915||Miles, Maude Louise|
|1916 to 1917||Smith, Camille|
|1918 to 1920||Vacant|
In 1910, the contents of the house were for sale by auction.
The house often offered rental accommodation.
In 1913, the house was for sale.
1968 Georgia Street was the contact address in 1915 for the sale of a cigar and confectionery store.
In 1921, the assets of a soda fountain business were for sale at 1968 Georgia Street.
In the mid- and late-1930s, Mary J. Davidson operated the Park View Tea Rooms at 1968 Georgia Street. She appeared in a list of dealers for Swift’s ham and bacon products.
In 1940, a fish and chip restaurant at 1968 Georgia Street was for sale.
In 1948, a restaurant business at 1968 Georgia Street was for sale.
In the 1950s, Alexander James McBain (1911-2000) sold marine engines at 1968 West Georgia Street.
A fire in 1960 destroyed the Stanley Park Armouries (formerly called the Horse Show Building). The fire damaged the building at 1964 Georgia Street, but 1968 Georgia Street and 1974 Georgia Street were relatively unharmed. (The house at 1954 Georgia Street had been demolished in 1955.)
In 1968, the Hippogriff was at 1968 Georgia Street.
By July 1982, when house wreckers demolished the Stuart Building at 1974 Georgia Street, the building at 1968 Georgia Street was also gone.
The property later became part of the site of the Laguna Parkside apartment building, which has an address of 1925 Alberni Street. (Further information appears on the page for the Horse Show Building.)