1901 Georgia Street

1901 Georgia Street was on the north side of Georgia Street, west of the intersection with Gilford Street.

Legal Description: District Lot: 185; Block: 64; east half of Lot 8.

The building was not present in the 1903 and 1912 Vancouver fire insurance plans.

 

1900 block of Georgia Street, north side; detail from Insurance plan; City of Vancouver, July 1897, revised June 1903; Sheet 43; Coal Harbour to Comox Street and Bidwell Street to Stanley Park.

 

1900 Block Georgia Street - Detail from Goad’s Atlas of the city of Vancouver – 1912 – Vol 1 – Plate 7 – Coal Harbour to Barclay Street and Cardero Street to Stanley Park

1900 Block Georgia Street – Detail from Goad’s Atlas of the city of Vancouver – 1912 – Vol 1 – Plate 7 – Coal Harbour to Barclay Street and Cardero Street to Stanley Park.

 

 

There are two references to 1901 Georgia Street in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1[searched February 16, 2020].

 

District: Vancouver
Permit: 1801
Owner: Canadian Builders Supply Co.
Architect: Wilson & Lake [BCR]
Builder: Canadian Builders Supply Co.
Legal Address: DL: 185 Block: 64 Sub: Resub: Lot: 8
Date (Y-M-D): 1912-03-19
Street Number: 1901
Street Name: Georgia Street W
Value: $5,000.00
Remarks: Factory/warehouse; sand and gravel bunkers [BCR]
Reference ID: VN-3300-3301-595

 

 

District: Vancouver
Permit: 1276
Owner: Nickson, T. R. & Co.
Architect: Nickson, T. R. & Co.
Builder: Nickson, T. R. & Co.
Legal Address: DL: 185 Block: 64 Sub: Resub: Lot: 8
Date (Y-M-D): 1912-01-19
Street Number: 1901
Street Name: Georgia Street W
Value: $1,000.00
Remarks: 1 office/store; frame office building [DBR]
Reference ID: VN-3300-3301-73

 

The building was present in the 1913-1920 Vancouver fire insurance plan.

 

1901 Georgia Street; detail from Goad’s Atlas of Vancouver, Volume 1, Plate 42 [Denman Street to Burrard Inlet to Chilco Street to Georgia Street]; Vancouver City Archives; 1972-582.17; https://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/plate-42-denman-street-to-burrard-inlet-to-chilco-street-to-georgia-street.

 

Vancouver directory listings from 1913 to 1920.

 

1913 to 1914 Canadian Builders Supply Company Limited
1913 to 1914 Nickson, T.R. and Company
1913 to 1915 Paddon, A.F. and Company
1913 to 1914 Sechelt Granite Quarries Limited
1916 to 1920 Vacant

 

Vancouver Province, April 27, 1909, page 21, column 6.

 

In 1915, an auctioneer sold the contractor’s plant and builders supply equipment at 1901 Georgia Street.

 

Vancouver Daily World, April 6, 1915, page 9, column 7.

Vancouver Daily World, April 6, 1915, page 9, column 7.

 

From 1919 to 1924, the Dollar Wood Yard was at 1903 Georgia Street (later called 1905 Georgia Street), which was at about the same location as 1901 Georgia Street.

The property later became the location of a service station and a series of industrial and marine businesses.

 

Home Gas station; 1905 West Georgia Street; detail from Coal Harbour Vancouver, B.C., about 1940; Vancouver City Archives; Wat P127; https://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/coal-harbour-vancouver-b-c.

 

Many of these businesses were on the shoreline of Coal Harbour or on the filled waterlots that were below the high-water mark (which is the blue line on the plan below).

 

West Georgia Street, Bidwell Street to Chilco Street, 1954; detail from City of Vancouver sectional plans; [similar to COV-S167—: LEG1319.415; https://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/sectional-map-of-vancouver-zoning-burrard-street-to-coal-harbour-to-stanley-park-to-robson-street].

 

The Coal Harbour waterfront and the entrance to Stanley Park, 1950s. Bill Dennett/Vancouver Sun; http://www.vancouversun.com/Coal+Harbour+waterfront+entrance+Stanley+Park+1950s+Bill+Dennett+Vancouver/11205432/story.html.

 

The site eventually became part of Devonian Harbour Park. (Further information appears on the page for 1997 Georgia Street.)

 

1900 Block of West Georgia Street, looking south-west; Google Maps, 3D view; searched December 10, 2019.