1840 Georgia Street was on the south side of Georgia Street, between Denman Street and Gilford Street.
Legal Description: District Lot: 185; Block: 65; Lot: 3.
Lot 3 was unoccupied in 1903.
According to the following plans, there were three structures on Lot 3 by 1912.
There is one potential reference to a building on lot 3 with a Georgia Street address in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 (searched December 16, 2019). The street address is 1838 Georgia Street rather than 1840 Georgia Street. The owner should probably be J. J. Harford. (In the Vancouver directories from 1906 to 1910, John J. Harford appeared at 1840 Georgia Street.)
|Owner:||Hasford, J. J. [Harford]|
|Architect:||Hasford, J. J. [Harford]|
|Builder:||Hasford, J. J. [Harford]|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 65 Sub: Resub: Lot: W 1/2 of 3|
|Street Name:||Georgia Street W|
Vancouver directory listings from 1907 to 1920.
|1907 to 1910 (“rear” in 1910)||Harford, John James|
|1910 to 1912||Western Engine and Supply Company Limited|
|1911 to 1912 (rear);||Harford, Frank|
|1913||Walker, A. Automobile Company (Archibald Walker)|
|1914 to 1921||Adair and Sutherland|
In 1932, B.C. Scientific Instrument Manufacturers Limited was at 1832-1840 Georgia Street. The photograph below shows a new building, which appears to be a replacement for an earlier building on the site.
In 1933, space in the building was for rent.
In 1934, the Vancouver Sun advertised a bailiff’s auction at Pascoe’s Boat Wharf. The advertisement gave the address as 1840 Georgia Street. (The wharf itself was a short distance away, on Coal Harbour, at the north end of Denman Street. Further information appears on the page for Pascoe and Woron: https://westendvancouver.wordpress.com/business-names/pascoe-and-woron/.)
From the 1930s to the early 1950s, 1840 Georgia Street was home to a series of boat dealers, marine products businesses and machinists.
In 1947, Western Air Cooled Engines Limited advertised its business at 1838 West Georgia Street.
Later sources placed Western Air Cooled Engines at 1840 Georgia Street.
In 1954, Coast Quarries Limited was at this location.
In 1956, McKinley Driving Schools moved from 1764 Robson Street to 1840 Georgia Street.
The driving school was for sale in 1980.
William Archibald (“Bill”) McKinley, the operator of the driving school, died in 1987.
Bill’s wife, Norma Doris Mckinley (née Ireland), died in 2008.
“Norma Dorris McKinley passed away at KGH on July 14th, 2008 at the age of 92. Norma was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She proudly served in WWII with the British Air Force where she met her husband William (Bill) McKinley during the war. They were married in England following the war and moved to Vancouver, settled in W. Van. She helped him set-up McKinley Driving Schools. Norma was predeceased by her husband in 1987. Norma moved to Kelowna in 2000 where she resided at Hawthorn Park and Three Links Manor. She is survived by her son Martin (Mary-Lou) McKinley of North Vancouver, daughter Susan (David) MacIntyre of Kelowna, grandchildren Debbie Price, Teresa McKinley-Harris, Kelly Bartlem, Tracy Jensen, Steven Hill and by six great granddaughters, Jade, Mikaela, Kirby, Jaimie, Sydney and Shelby. By request, no service will be held. A family celebration of life will be held at a later date. She will be sadly missed.” Kelowna Capital News, Jul 14, 2008; https://www.kelownacapnews.com/obituaries/norma-dorris-mckinley/.
The lot later became part of the Lumière condominium development at 1863 Alberni Street.