1898 Robson Street was at the southeast corner of Gilford Street and Robson Street. Sometime after 1955 the address of this house became 710 Gilford Street.
Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 66, Lot 7.
There is one reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [updated search September 3, 2014].
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 65 Sub: Resub: Lot: 7|
|Street Name:||Robson Street|
|Remarks:||Dwelling/house; one-storey frame garage [DBR]; [added legal desc.]|
John Milner Atkins was a druggist. He lived at 1898 Robson Street from 1900 to 1938.
Thanks to Ted Thomas for providing the photograph of the house in the 1970s. Ted lived in the house from 1972 to 1975. The rent for his one bedroom apartment was $115.00 per month. His front window looked out onto Robson Street, but the view was partially obscured by the monkey puzzle tree, which was as tall as the house. The ceilings in the house seemed incredibly high. The garages for the property were originally stables. Someone had nailed an old horseshoe above the garage door. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson, an elderly British couple, were the managers of the apartments in the house. They were the sweetest people you could ever hope to meet. And there was a Manx house cat, which Ted called “Tom.”