2015 Haro Street was the last house on the north side of Haro Street, at the corner of Haro Street and Park Road (later called Lagoon Drive). It appears to be the only house in the West of Denman area that was not strictly aligned with the street grid, probably to enhance the house’s views to Lost Lagoon.
Roderick Campbell, Junior built the house about 1904.
Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 66, Lot 23.
There are two references to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/ [searched November 23, 2018]. One is from 1904, for the house itself; the other is from 1909, for a garage.
|Owner:||Campbell, R. J.|
|Architect:||Campbell, R. J.|
|Builder:||Macpherson & Sinclair|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 66 Sub: Resub: Lot: 23-24|
|Street Name:||Park Street & Haro Street|
|Architect:||Honeyman & Curtis|
|Builder:||Wright, J. E.|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 66 Sub: Resub: Lot: 23|
|Street Name:||Haro Street|
|Remarks:||Frame garage [added legal desc.]|
2015 Haro Street is just below the tip of the arrow in the photograph below.Rod Campbell, Junior lived in the house until 1919.
In the 1920s and 1930s the house was a private home and then a rooming house.
In 1930, a realtor describe the site as an “ideal view apartment site.”
In 1952 the house was demolished and an apartment building appeared on the site. (Sometimes the building is called “Lagoon Manor.” Other times it is “Arniston Apartments.”)