Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 69, Lot 16.
George William Grant (1852-1925) and Alexander Ernest Henderson (1873-1927) designed this house in 1906: “Nelson Street, residence for Almeron S. Cross, 1906 ([Contract Record], xvii, 14 March 1906, 4).” [http://dictionaryofarchitectsincanada.org/node/1596].There is one reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched February 12, 2019].
|Owner:||Cross, A. S.|
|Builder:||Nichol & McLeod|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 69 Sub: Resub: Lot: W 1/2 of 15 & 16|
|Street Name:||Nelson Street|
|Remarks:||Frame stable [added legal desc.]|
Vancouver directory listings from 1907 to 1931:
|1907 to 1915 and 1920||Cross, Almeron Soper|
|1916 to 1919||Oppenheimer, Milton|
|1921 to 1931||Cross, Elizabeth Tryphena (wife of Cross, Almeron Soper)|
During the mid-1930s, the house was available to rent.In 1937, the house was for sale.
The house was a rooming house in the 1950s and 1960s.
Sometimes the house was called the “Paine Building” (or the “Payne Building”).
In February 1968, the property was for sale.
In the fall of 1968, a developer was demolishing the house.
In 1972, a rental apartment called “The Dogwood” was on the site, with a street address of 2040 Nelson Street.
Changing Vancouver, 2040 Nelson Street; https://changingvancouver.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/2040-nelson-street/.
Hollyburn Properties Limited, The Dogwood, 2040 Nelson Street, Vancouver, BC, https://www.hollyburn.com/building/the-dogwood/.