This site is about the history of the West End in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, starting in the late 1800s and running to about 1920. It deals mostly with the West of Denman area, from Denman Street on the east to Stanley Park on the west, and from Coal Harbour on the north to English Bay on the south.This site includes:
- General historical background, including information on street layout and street names
- Houses and individual named buildings
- Biographies and named businesses
See the About page for more information on the general nature of this site.
Each house, building and family has its own page, with links to other information on this site and elsewhere.
The following sites provide links to selected information about buildings that currently exist in this area. (I am not affiliated with these sites.)
- Vancouver Real Estate: Les Twarog and Sonja Pederson: Strata Building Location Map for West End: http://www.6717000.com/downtownmaps/map6-l.php
- Vancouver Real Estate: Les Twarog and Sonja Pederson: Strata Building List for West End: http://www.6717000.com/region-6.html#listofbuildings
Navigating this site. You can find information in several ways (some of which may work better on a full-sized computer than on a tablet or smartphone).
- Use the dropdown lists at the top of this page. The main categories refer to business names, named buildings, streets and biographies. Some pages are currently just placeholders, but they will include further details when the information is ready.
- Use the search box near the top right of the screen. This search applies to everything on the site, including the blog posts and the general pages.
- Click on tags in the tag cloud. The tags apply to the general occupations of the heads of families. The tags apply only to the blog posts, not to the general pages.
Please let me know what you think. If you have any questions, comments, or additional information, I would be pleased to hear from you.