1155 Park Road was the residence of the Vancouver park superintendent.
In 1906, the city’s board of park commissioners asked the city council for funds to build the residence, which the commissioners called a “cottage.”
Vancouver directory listings from 1907 to 1959.
|1907 to 1910||Eldon, George|
|1911 to 1913||Balmer, Adam|
|1915 to 1937||Rawlings, William Stanley|
|1938 to 1959||Stroyan, Philip Bateman|
Until 1929, the address of the residence was 1155 Park Road. In 1929, the city changed the name of the street from Park Road to Lagoon Drive, and the address became 1155 Lagoon Drive.
In 1940, the address became 2099 Beach Avenue.
In the 1950s, some park board members began to talk about demolishing the residence. In 1959, Philip Stroyan, the park superintendent, ordered the demolition of the house without specific direction from the park board.An investigation later concluded that the demolition was without proper authority, but it also said that Mr. Stroyan’s “character was unstained,” because he believed that his actions were within the existing park policies.
The park board later applied for permission to build an office on the site of the former residence.
The photograph below shows the new office and administration building nearing the end of construction.
The city’s mayor, Tom Alsbury, opened the new building in February 1962.
Vancouver Sun, February 19, 1962, page 19, column 6.
Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation Offices, 2099 Beach Avenue, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6G, Canada; https://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=8824&pid=0.
Board of Parks & Recreation Offices, 2099 Beach Avenue, Vancouver, BC, Canada; http://modtraveler.net/city/vancouver_694/listing/board-of-parks-recreation-offices/.