- Auto Clearing House – Detail of English Bay; dated in archives as about 1920; Vancouver City Archives; AM1535 – CVA 99-1221 [actual date about 1914]; https://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/english-bay-view-from-beach-looking-north-west-along-beach.
The Auto Clearing House was at 1805 Beach Avenue in 1913 and 1914.
Vancouver Daily World, September 18, 1913, page 9, columns 5-7.
The managing director was Frederick M. Powell, who lived at 3449 West Second Avenue in 1914.
English Bay and Sylvia Hotel, 1913; Vancouver Public Library; VPL Accession Number: 8426, Photographer/Studio: R. Broadbridge. The Auto Clearing House is in the small building at the centre right.
In 1913, Mr. Powell was the sales manager for the Dominion Motor Car Company (which had been at 1805 Beach Avenue in 1911 and 1912). He lived in apartment 68 in Engelsea Lodge (2046 Beach Avenue).
In 1920, there was an Auto Clearing House at 600 Seymour Street. John H. Spencer and Thomas G. Weston were the operators of this business.