1871 Georgia Street was on the north side of Georgia Street, east of Gilford Street. It appears to have been part of a building that had 1869 Georgia Street as its address.
Legal description: District Lot 185; Block 64; Lot 6.
Vancouver Directory Listings from 1917 to 1940.
|1917 to 1918||Fenner, Joseph William|
|1919 to 1921||Carson, Arthur Edmund|
|1923 to 1926||Brown, Jonathan E.|
|1927 to 1928||Scanlon, Ewart Stanway|
|1930||Smith, John F.|
|1931||Lois, Miss Leila|
|1932 to 1934||Brush, Mrs. Berthe (widow of A.R. Brush)|
|1935 to 1936||Redding, Benjamin (wife is Berthe, formerly Mrs. Brush)|
|1937||Kaiser Zimmerman Company Limited|
|1938||Maschinefabrik Augsburg-Nurnberg – marine engines|
|1939||Not listed under Vancouver streets|
|1940||Marine Sales and Service (1869-1873 Georgia Street)|
Miscellaneous Biographical Information
Martha Brown was a hairdresser who worked with Eva Humphreys. She lived at 1871 Georgia Street in 1922.
Ewart Stanway Scanlon
Ewart Stanway Scanlon was an electric sign worker who lived at 1871 Georgia Street in 1927 and 1928.
The fire that destroyed the Denman Arena in August 1936 also damaged or destroyed several other nearby buildings, including 1871 Georgia Street.
Material from the Blue Goose Café
In November 1936, Lawrence’s Marine Shop advertised that it was at 1871 Georgia Street. The shop was advertising dishes and other accessories from the Blue Goose Café. It appears that these items were available after the Blue Goose’s short-lived time as an art deco restaurant.
In 1935, the owners of the Blue Goose had renovated the café.
In March 1936, new management had taken over the business.
By April 1936, the business was called the Hollywood Café.
Further information on the Hollywood Café appears here:
Hollywood Café; Vancouver As It Was; https://vanasitwas.wordpress.com/2015/01/12/hollywood-cafe/.
872-876 Granville St; Vancouver Heritage Foundation; https://www.vancouverheritagefoundation.org/location/872-granville-st-vancouver-bc/.
Later Years at 1871 Georgia Street
In the 1940s and 1950s a series of marine-related businesses occupied this general area.
The area later became part of Devonian Harbour Park.
Further information appears on the page for 1997 Georgia Street.