1890 Alberni Street was on the south side of Alberni Street, between Gilford Street and Denman Street. Unlike most other houses in that block, the house was near the lane on the south portion of the lot.
Legal Description: District Lot: 185; Block: 65; south half of Lot 24.
There are no references to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched August 2, 2019].
Vancouver directory listings from 1906 to 1920.
|1906 to 1909||Kerr, John Latimer|
|1910||Jukes, Arthur Ewart|
|1912||Smith, Katherine Clement|
|1913 to 1914||Douglas, Alexander Harold|
|1915 to 1916||Clark, John Arthur|
|1917 to 1920||Field, Alfred|
In the late 1980s, the property was part of the proposed site of a 20-storey residential building.
In 1991, the lot became part of the site of 1888 Alberni Street.
The view below shows the approximate location of the original house at 1890 Alberni Street.
Michael Kluckner, Vanishing Vancouver, North Vancouver, British Columbia, Whitecap Books Ltd., 1990, page 83, note relating to watercolour painting: “The oldest house visible in the watercolour is the unpainted grey one on the extreme right. Built probably in the early 1890s, before there was a lane between Robson and Alberni, it sat at the extreme rear of its lot and had a street address of 1890 Alberni.”
Vancouver City Archives; File – – Permits/licenses applications – demolition permits; COV-S62-4; 1988-1990 (Creation); https://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/permits-licenses-applications-demolition-permits-6: File includes Manager’s reports and other records. Subjects include: “Moratoria on demolitions in North Vancouver and Victoria” (January and February 1990); “Toronto-Dominion Bank – 526 West Hastings Street (410 & 412-424 Seymour Street) – extension of demolition permit” (January 24, 1990); and “Demolition of the Huntington, 1915 Beach Ave.” (June 27, 1988). File also includes a memorandum of a demolition order for 1880 Alberni St., 1890 Alberni St., 1894-98 Alberni St., 740-744 Gilford St. and 746 Gilford St., and records pertaining to redevelopment around the Delmar Hotel (Dunsmuir, Homer, Pender and Hamilton Streets).