1919 Robson Street was on the north side of Robson Street, just east of Gilford Street. It was probably the only house in Canada designed by the famous California architects Charles Sumner Greene (1868–1957) and Henry Mather Greene (1870–1954) [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greene_and_Greene].
Roger Henry Carleton Green (sometimes called “Henry Green,” “R.H.C. Green,” or “R.Henry C. Green”) was a lawyer originally from Ireland. He lived in Toronto, Ontario, for a time, and then went with his family to live in southern California. After becoming familiar with the work of Greene and Greene, he had them design this half-timbered stucco house.
Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 65, Lot 38 (the house was on lot 38, but the property also included lot 37).There is one reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched January 8, 2014].
|Owner:||Greene, R. H.|
|Architect:||Greene & Greene|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 65 Sub: Resub: Lot: 37-38|
|Street Name:||Robson Street & Gilford Street|
The builder was probably Walter Hepburn (1857-1940), a contractor who was originally from Quebec: Walter Hepburn, British Columbia From the Earliest Times to the Present, Volume 3, Howay and Scholefield, Vancouver, S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1914, pages 936-939, https://archive.org/stream/britishcolumbiaf00schouoft#page/936/mode/1up.
Vancouver directory listings for 1919 Robson Street (to 1920):
|1905 to 1908; 1912 to 1916; 1918 to 1920||Green, Roger Henry Carleton|
|1909 to 1911||McInnes, William Wallace Burns|
|1917||Cummings, Charles Victor|
After 1920, members of the Green family continued to live in the house for many years.
In 1935, the house was available to rent.
In 1943, the National Housing Administration took over the house and converted it into accommodation for tenants whose work was important for the war effort.
The house continued as an apartment house until about 1969.
In 1970, lots 37 and 38 became the site of the Ilikai Apartments, with a street address of 1905 Robson Street.
Most earlier advertisements for 1905 Robson Street also referred to another apartment building at 1920 Alberni Street, which was just north of 1905 Robson.
Randall L. Makinson, Greene and Greene: Architecture as a Fine Art, Salt Lake City and Santa Barbara, Peregrine Smith, 1977, page 94.
R. Henry C. Green House (Vancouver, B.C.) Residence for R. Henry C. Green Esq. at Vancouver, B.C., [Canada] / Greene & Greene, Architects. 1904 8 drawings various media 48 x 58.4 cm. (18 7/8 x 23 in.) or smaller, Columbia University Libraries, Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library; Greene & Greene Architectural Records and Paper Collections, http://www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb/eresources/archives/avery/greene/html/subs/NYDA89-F381.html, includes copies of architectual drawings.
“Revival of Arts and Crafts renews interest in Robson Street’s ‘ultimate bungalow’,”Vancouver Sun, March 19, 2001, page B3, includes illustration of front elevation.
Wartime Housing Limited, 1941-1947; Canadian Housing Policy at the Crossroads, by Catherine Jill Wade, M.A. Thesis, University of British Columbia, 1984; https://open.library.ubc.ca/media/download/pdf/831/1.0096317/1.
Ilikai, 1905 Robson Street, Vancouver, BC; https://www.hollyburn.com/building/ilikai/.