1835 Barclay Street was on the north side of Barclay Street, west of Denman Street.
Legal Description: District Lot 185, Block 67, Lot 33.
There are no references to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/ [searched February 5, 2013].
William Carey Ditmars built this house in 1899.
Vancouver directory listings for 1835 Barclay Street from 1901 to 1920
|1901 to 1902||Ditmars , William Carey|
|1903||Rochester, John Young|
|1904||Battle, Charles Smith|
|1905 to 1910||Ditmars, William Carey|
|1911||Wright, Ethel Lillian|
|1912 to 1913||Stewart, Margaret|
|1914||Howard, Percival Sewell|
|1917||Crawford, John G.|
|1919||Clark, Bruce (Clark, Alexander Frederick Bruce)|
|1920||Stark, Thomas Douglas|
In 1927, Moxam and Tod Limited replaced the existing house with a two-storey building that included 13 rental apartments.
The new building was called “The Waldron” or “Waldron Apartments.” A new owner took over the building in the fall of 1927.
In 1927, the apartments were renting for $52.50 to $70.00 per month.
By 1931, the rents had dropped to a range of $42.50 to $60.00 per month.
The building continued as a rental operation until the 1980s.
In 1986, André Molnar demolished the old building and built a strata project on the property. The new building was called “Parkside Place.”