This site is about the history of the West End in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, starting in the late 1800s and running to about 1920. It deals mostly with the West of Denman area, which runs from Denman Street on the east to Stanley Park on the west, and from Coal Harbour on the north to English Bay on the south.
This is an outline of what is on the site:
- Historical Background, including street layout and street names
- Houses and individual named buildings
- Biographies and business names
The About page gives more details on the general nature of this site.
At this point, I haven’t included many pictures showing the buildings that are currently on each site. Below are sources for some current buildings. I don’t have any connection to these sites, but they are useful:
- Vancouver Real Estate: Les Twarog and Sonja Pederson: Strata Building Location Map for West End: http://www.6717000.com/downtownmaps/map6-l.php
- Vancouver Real Estate: Les Twarog and Sonja Pederson: Strata Building List for West End: http://www.6717000.com/region-6.html#listofbuildings
I added a new page on Adam Balmer. He was the superintendent of Stanley Park from about 1910 to 1913. He lived at 1155 Park Road from 1910 to 1913.
I added a new page for A. L. Cecil. This person was at 2047 Pendrell Street in the 1912 Henderson’s directory for Vancouver. However, there is no A.L. Cecil under the listings for names from 1910 to 1914. No further information is available at this time.