Georgia Street runs parallel to Alberni Street, originally from Chilco Street east to Beatty Street. After 1915, the City of Vancouver extended Georgia Street east to Boundary Road, by renaming the former Harris Street.
Source of name
Georgia Street was named after the Strait of Georgia, which, in turn, was named after King George III. This is one of the streets that Lauchlan Hamilton named after features on a Pacific Coast admiralty chart. Elizabeth Walker, Street Names of Vancouver, 1999, page 46; Richard Edward Allen, A Pictorial History of Vancouver: Book 1: Origin of Street and Place Names, 1982, page 30.