990 Denman Street is near the northeast corner of Denman Street and Nelson Street.
Until about 1911, the lot was vacant.
Denman Street – east side – between Barclay Street and Nelson Street – Vancouver Public Library – VPL 2653 – about 1904.
There is one reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched August 10, 2019].
|Owner:||Austin, A. E.|
|Architect:||Brehant [Brehaut], W. W.|
|Builder:||Atkins, J. E.|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 58 Sub: Resub: Lot: S 1/2 15|
|Street Name:||Denman Street|
The owner was Albert Ernest Austin (1878-1931).
The person named as “architect” on the building permit was Wellington Whitfield Brehaut (1870–1915), who was actually a building contractor.
The builder was probably James Ernest Atkins (1879-1962).
Further details appear on the page for 986 Denman Street.
Vancouver directory listings from 1913 to 1920
|1913 to 1915||Denman Dye Works|
|1916 to 1918||Vacant|
|1920 to 1926||Takunaga (Tokunaga; Tokumaga) (associated with Denman Tailors)|
From the 1920s to the 1950s, a series of shoe repair business was at this location.
In the early 1980s, a business telephone system retailer had one of its locations at 990 Denman Street.
In 2001, “Soupspoons” was at this location.
The Cash Store and MitBit restaurant have occupied the site until the present time.