871 Denman Street was on the west side of Denman Street, between Haro Street and Barclay Street.
Legal Description: District Lot: 185; Block: 67; Lot South half of lot 1.
There are no references to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched March 21, 2019].
On March 30, 1898, the city issued water permit for what became 871 Denman Street: permit number 3275 to Elizabeth Tiffin (with R. Purdy as agent) for lot 1 (South 1/2), block 67 District Lot 185.
Vancouver directory listings from 1903 to 1919:
|1903 to 1904||Bridgman, Edward Charles|
|1905 to 1909||Bridgman, Edward Harry|
|1910 to 1912||Meredith, Francis Russell|
|1912||Fox, Willoughby Beresford|
|1913||Cowin, Margaret Anna (or Anne)|
|1913||Creighton, (unknown given names) (rear of house)|
|1913||Teevan, Thomas Foster|
|1914 to 1915||Campbell, John (rear of house)|
|1915||Whitaker, Herbert Edward|
|1916 to 1920||Tilley, Jane (“Jeannie”) Martha (widow of Seth Thorne Tilley)|
|1916 to 1919||Vacant (rear of house)|
In 1912, the contents of the house were for sale.
From time to time, the whole house and rooms in the house were available to rent.
A one-storey commercial building later appeared on the site.