William Edmund Thompson built this house in 1899.
By the fall of 1899, the Thompson family was living in the house.
The house first appeared in the Vancouver directory in 1900.
Legal Description: District Lot: 185; Block 66; Lot 1.
There is one reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/index.php?cID=1 [searched April 18, 2019].
|Owner:||O’Brien, W. E.|
|Legal Address:||DL: Block: Sub: Resub: Lot:|
|Street Name:||Denman Street|
Vancouver directory listings from 1900 to 1920:
|1900 to 1906||Thompson, William Edmund|
|1907||Macaulay, Henry Charles|
|1909 to 1910; 1917 to 1920;||O’Brien, William Edward|
|1911||Elkin, Frank Lusty|
|1913||Evans, William D.|
|1914||Ravey, Martin James|
|1915 to 1916||Murphy, Agnes|
In 1906, the house was for sale.
In 1914 and 1916, the contents of the house were for sale by auction.
In 1927, 1939 and 1951, the house was for sale.
In 1955, house wreckers demolished the house.
The lot was later the location of the Canadian Bank of Commerce (which became the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce after a merger with the Imperial Bank of Canada in 1961).
In March 1963, a gunman attempted to rob the bank, but the bank manager overpowered the gunman.
Dairy Queen and Breka
In 1999, the bank closed this location and merged it with its branch at Georgia Street and Burrard Street. (The bank later opened a branch at 1720 Robson Street.)
The building at 821 Denman Street became a Dairy Queen.
In 2018 the front of the building was vacant.
It later became the location of a Breka Bakery and Café; http://www.breka.ca/locations.
“Bank Quits Denman,” West End Times, December 3, 1999, volume 9, issue 49, page 1 [includes photograph of Denman Street branch at 821 Denman Street].