1200 Denman Street was a three-storey building on the southeast corner of Denman Street and Davie Street.
Legal Description: District Lot: 185; Block: 62; north half of Lot 14.
The building did not appear in the 1901 and 1903 versions of a Vancouver fire insurance plan.
The building was present in the 1912 plan.
There is one apparent reference to this property in Heritage Vancouver Society’s database of historic building permits: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/ [searched March 6, 2020].
|Owner:||Bradbury, A. H.|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: Sub: Resub: Lot:|
|Street Name:||Davie Street & Denman Street (Corner)|
|Remarks:||Concrete store and apartment flats; [VDW Oct-28-1907 p3;]|
The following reference to another permit in the Heritage Vancouver database indicates that the permit applies to the southeast corner of Denman Street and Davie Street: http://permits.heritagevancouver.org/ [searched March 6, 2020].
However, the legal description is District Lot: 185; Block 61, north half of Lot 15. Block 61 is north of Davie Street.
As well, the Vancouver directory references indicate that Arthur Henry Bradbury was associated with various addresses in the 1200 block of Denman Street (that is, on the southeast corner of Denman Street and Davie Street).
The directory listings for Thomas Smith Heaslip (the son of Samuel Atchison Heaslip) relate to the 1100 block of Denman Street, which is on the northeast corner of Denman Street and Davie Street.
Finally, the Vancouver newspapers had advertisements for 1200 Denman Street in early June 1908. The Heaslip permit is not dated until June 30, 1908.
|Owner:||Hasslip, S. A. [Heaslip]|
|Legal Address:||DL: 185 Block: 61 Sub: Resub: Lot: N 1/2 of 15|
|Street Name:||Denman Street & Davie Street (corner) [SE]|
|Remarks:||Frame store and apartment house; [VDW June-30-1908 p1;]|
Selected Vancouver directory listings from 1908 to 1926.
|1909 to 1919||English Bay Tea Rooms|
|1911 to 1912||Reed, James Beresford|
|1920 to 1926||Royal Bank of Canada: West End Branch|
The West End branch of the Royal Bank of Canada was at 1200 Denman Street from 1920 to 1926.
In 1927, the bank moved to the corner of Georgia Street and Bidwell Street.
This was the Royal Bank’s branch at the corner of Georgia Street and Bidwell Street.
A series of retail businesses later occupied this site.
Burglars broke into a produce store at 1200 Denman Street in 1932.
A burglary at 1200 Denman Street in 1933 resulted in the death of one of the burglars.
The following narrow view of part of the building shows the finishing on the outside of the upper stories in 1946.
The building appeared in a 1948 collection of photographs, although the specific date of the photograph is not available. The building seems to have lost the turret that had been on its northwest corner.
From the late 1940s until the mid-1950s, the east side of the 1200 block of Denman Street was vacant, and it was a parking lot.
In the late 1950s, the Berkeley Tower apartment building appeared at the southeast corner of Denman Street and Davie Street.
Further details appear on the page for 1224 Denman Street.